Title: Development Assistant – PT Seasonal
Term: Summer (end of May – early August)
Length: 8-10 weeks
Hours per Week: Flexible (2-3 days per week) or 15-20 hours/week
Reports to: Development Events Manager
Who We are:
Reading is the single most important skill a child needs. Yet many children lack access to books, especially books of their own. That’s why Bernie’s Book Bank works so hard to provide free quality books to children in our local areas to build personal libraries.
Our purpose is simple: Enable positive life experiences through books and book ownership. We envision a future where every child has equal access to books and the opportunities they inspire. In order to accomplish all of this, we source, process, and distribute eight books annually to children ages birth through sixth grade at Title I schools and early childhood programs. Bernie’s Book Bank focuses on communities where children are the least likely to have access to books of their own and delivers the age appropriate, high interest, and culturally relevant books children deserve.
Bernie’s Book Bank creates pathways to success through book ownership and empowers children to explore new ideas, gain knowledge and strengthen reading skills. With the support of generous donors and volunteers, Bernie’s Book Bank is transforming children’s stories. Since 2009, Bernie’s Book Bank has distributed more than 23 MILLION free children’s books.
Bernie’s Book Bank is looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated team member to serve as a summer Development Assistant. They will assist our team in event preparation and set-up for multiple fundraising events throughout the Chicagoland area. We run a robust summer fundraising event schedule that includes multiple golf outings, a fundraising walk and family literacy event. Our Development Assistant should be an energetic team player who is passionate about our mission to enable positive life experiences through children’s book ownership. We are looking for a self-starter who supports these events and initiatives related to achieving overall success.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Assist in preparation and administration of projects and tasks to support fundraising events and initiatives
- Support outreach to potential sponsors/contributors for event participation
- Support outreach to confirmed event sponsors/participants to secure needed information
- Edit and review materials to be shared with external prospects, donors, volunteers, and event attendees (Ex: Prepare and edit programs, signage, pre- and post- event eblasts, etc.) working closely with Marketing to ensure deadlines are met
- Participate in relevant meetings to support activities
- Ability to attend events during seasonal employment
- Ability to research potential funders to support fundraising efforts
- Other duties as assigned
- We are looking for candidates who are passionate about our mission to create pathways to success through book ownership and to empower children to explore new ideas, gain knowledge, and strengthen reading skills.
- MUST have a high school diploma
- MUST have and exude an exceptionally positive, “I CAN/I WILL” attitude and be self-motivated
- MUST demonstrate an understanding of the significant value of relationships to the success of Bernie’s Book Bank
- MUST demonstrate the following attributes: be a problem-solver, have a strong work ethic, be flexible, organized and responsible, be comfortable communicating with individuals at several levels, have the ability to multi-task and prioritize projects in an (at times) fast-paced environment, and be team-oriented
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite preferred
- Ability and willingness to take direction
Working Conditions/Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the team member will typically be working in an office or event space environment. Will sometimes be asked to do moderate lifting, bending, pulling, and standing for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential duties